- The Cuban Meteorology Institute’s radar image of Hurricane Ike, linked from the National Weather Service site. At least someone is cooperating.
- 600,000 Cubans evacuate their homes as Ike advances, AFP reports.
- At Penultimos Dias, a terrific idea: both governments should do all they can to allow outside aid to reach hurricane victims in
– including Cuba suspension of its travel, remittance, and gift package limits on Cuban Americans, and U.S. placing a moratorium on taxes and fees on remittances. Cuba
- Blogger Yoani Sanchez, in a post called “Losing it all,” weighs in in favor of
suspension of its family sanctions – but she says a 90-day suspension isn’t enough. U.S.
- Secretary Rice: it wouldn’t be wise to lift the embargo now.