Thursday, January 24, 2013


“I am Cuban and a resident of the United States.  I am 66 years old and receive a pension of $1,400.  I have two children in Cuba who have never wanted to leave the country and I would like to live out my old age with them.  So I am thinking seriously, in light of the new changes in migration law, of beginning to take the necessary steps to return to my loved ones.  My question is the following: Would I have to pay tax on my pension?  If so, which I view as natural and I am in agreement, what would the procedure be and what would be the percentage?”

– a question signed by Edel Gonzalez presented to Cuban tax authorities, who answered questions about the new tax law in an on-line forum and in the comments section of this article in Juventud Rebelde.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I work for Social Security. My understanding is that the U.S. does not send Social secuirty checks to Cuba. If this man leaves for Cuba to live there and the pension he refers to is Social Security, his payments will be suspended