Friday, January 15, 2010

No comment

I’m done with the comments on this blog, sorry to say.

I posted an item this week on Cuban doctors in Haiti and the comments soon took a very ugly turn. Some weeks ago, I got complaints about some of the insults, which are ample, and go in all directions. On top of that, there’s the fact that many of the comments have nothing to do with what I have written – nothing wrong with that, but there are plenty of other places where people can engage in those anonymous spats.

I could set up a system of moderating comments, where I read and screen them before they are posted, but I am not interested in being a gatekeeper. So I have thought about all this and decided that this is a party that I no longer want to host, and I’m shutting the comments section down.

What I regret is that some comments have contributed interesting information, questions, and arguments about the topics I discussed, and about some that I didn’t. Readers can continue to send me feedback by e-mail (in my profile); I’ll read them all, I’ll answer them as I can, and I’ll make use of good questions and comments and suggestions.

No comments: