- Who says blogging isn’t work? Cuban Colada translates Russian newspaper coverage of the visit of General Nikolai Makarov, chief of the general staff of Russia’s armed forces here, here, and here. Makarov announced that “Cuban officers will again study at our military colleges and training centers, and Russian defense industry specialists will help
modernize its combat arsenal.” Also: “The time has come to aid the friendly nation in its development, especially on the socioeconomic level.” Havana
- The New York Times: Declassified documents show that Fidel Castro urged the Soviets to consider nuking us, until they explained the concept of blowback to him, and which “changed Castro’s positions considerably.”
- ESPN: Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman establishes his residency in
, the little landlocked country in the Andorra Pyrenees, and will likely soon be a big league free agent.
- The Herald reports on Cuba’s patent registrations in the
, and vice versa. United States
- Juventud Rebelde on the Coppelia ice cream pavilion in Vedado, and its problems.