Friday, May 11, 2007

AG Gonzales on Posada

Excerpt from a House Judiciary Committee hearing, May 10, 2007, with Rep. Bill Delahunt questioning the Attorney General:

DELAHUNT:

Well, back in March of 2005 an individual by the name of Luis Posada Carriles entered this country illegally. He has had a long and rather dramatic history of violence and in fact has been convicted of acts of terrorism in other countries. The most famous charge, of course -- and this is referenced in a series of FBI documents that are now in the public domain -- is that he was implicated in the midair bombing of a Cuban airliner, resulting in the deaths of some 73 civilians. I'm sure you're familiar with that.

GONZALES:

I'm familiar with the news stories, yes, sir.

DELAHUNT:

Well, let me ask you this: Have you reviewed this particular case?

GONZALES:

I'm aware of this case.

DELAHUNT:

And have you made at any point in time an assessment of whether this individual should be designated as a terrorist and detained?

GONZALES:

What I can say, Congressman, is that, of course, I'm concerned about what I know. And we've taken steps in the courts to try...

DELAHUNT:

I understand you've taken steps in courts, but I'd appreciate a direct answer.

GONZALES:

What's the question?

DELAHUNT:

Why have you not taken steps to designate Luis Posada Carriles as a testimony -- rather, as a terrorist, given the overwhelming information that exists in the public domain today?

GONZALES:

Congressman, what I'd like to do is go back and look at this case so I can give you an answer. I want to be -- I want to be totally accurate with you with respect to...

DELAHUNT:

I understand. But this is your responsibility...

GONZALES:

And I want to be careful about what I can say publicly. And so, again...

DELAHUNT:

Well, I understand you have to careful. But at the same time, have you undertaken a review of this case, given the law authorizing you...

GONZALES:

I'm aware of the circumstances of this case. But I'm also aware that there are still on -- think -- matters and actions ongoing within the department that have not been completed. And I don't want to say anything that would in any way jeopardize that.


No comments: